Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Some Things I learned in Italy

The first leg of my journey lived up to my dreams. It was amazing seeing the ancient city of Rome, the beautiful city of Florence and all of the great countryside in between. Here are a few of my thoughts on Italy so far. (I will be going back in the next few months).

1) You can learn another language living there. I never really understood what people meant about thinking in that language. You can't translate, you have to think it. I could never get that down in language classes. With only a 8 days in Italy I was saying basic phrases, like thank you, you're welcome, excuse me, do you speak English, I don't speak Italian. I said them in Italian without thanking. Even the first few days in Hungary, I keep using the Italian phrases when speaking to my English speaking friends.

2) Italian's are not rude. I kept getting lead to believe that Italians will be very rude Americans, but I didn't experience this at all. People were very helpful and friendly.

3) Italian's don't speak/know English as well as I had assumed. A decent amount of people spoke a little English and the only ones who really knew it worked with tourists daily. It is surprising because as soon as I got to Hungary just about every person spoke it with such great clarity.

4) The wine really is that good. Being in the Chianti valley was like being in wine heaven. You can get 1 Euro bottles that taste better than any $20+ I ever tried in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment