Saturday, September 17, 2011

From Rome to Florence


After 3 beautiful (hot) days in Rome it was time to move to our next destination, Florence. I tried to get a good nights sleep as we needed to be up by 9am, but alas the hot room, with the bright lights we can cover up outside our open window that we cant close because of the heat followed by the workmen's power tools at 6am prevented that. But none the less, it was our final night at the hostel (thank goodness).

We decided to take a train from Rome to Florence. Now, it was difficult to contain my childish excitement at this prospect. If you knew me as a child, you would know I loved trains. My Dad and I would go down to the train show by Kemper Hall each year and I was allowed to get one new train piece for my model set (HO track for any train fans). Riding the trains are also some of my favorite memories from my European trips as a child. Needless to say walking into the train station was like a kid walking into a candy shop.

Now to quell my excitement was the fact that we didn't know what the hell we were doing. After some playing around with a computer terminal and asking a few questions we got the kist of what we needed and booked two 2nd class tickets on the next train (30 min) for only 45 Euros.

The train ride itself was pretty calm. Smooth and fast (only 1h 35m). We almost missed our stop because we fell asleep though (which would have been mildly funny at the same time). This was my first chance to really see the Italian country side and let me says, beautiful. It lives up to its expectations and we were not even in the really good parts yet.

After getting to Florence we had to figure out how to lug our combined 6 bags to our Hostel that we are not sure where is. We settled on a cab that we could just hand an address too. Lucky for us it was only a 10 Euro cab ride.

This time around we stayed in a hotel (cheaper than hostels for 2). After taking our bags up to the second floor (3rd floor by American standards - in Europe the ground floor is 0). We find a nice room with a fan. No air conditioning, but finally a fan. Praise Zeus....I mean Jupiter. We unload our bags and decide to explore the city.

After walking around we stop by a couple of the major attractions in the center of town and decide to get something to eat. To celebrate our success we decide on treating ourselves to something special. McDonalds! Check out that Euro menu! (I got yelled at for taking that photo). You might be judging me, but we were tired and wanted something cheap and familiar, plus I needed beef for a change. A burger was 1 euro, a small, tiny drink was 2.20 Euro....only in Europe.

After eating our delicious meal (it was) we wondered the city center some more and got some sub-par gelato. We decide to return to our hotel as Ann is meeting up with some friends who are also studying abroad and I am going to relax for the evening.

Ann leaves and I wonder the city close by my place and get a sandwich. Around 11pm Ann comes back with 4 people and tells me they decided to go to Cinque Terra the next morning to go hiking and she needs to get her things. She will be staying with her friends tonight. They invite me along, but sadly I have to decline as I am meeting a friend in San Gimingano the next day myself. This is what I love about traveling in Europe. You can just decide to one day go to another city and adventure with friends. Plus, I got the room to my self for the night and finally a little sleep.

Now, many people have hyped Florence as better than Rome, which I had trouble believing, but now I see the appeal. Though I will say they are too different to compare, but Florence is much more relaxed. It is so beautiful situated in the hills with a river running in the middle. The mix of modern and ancient buildings only adds the allure. I can't pick a favorite, but can say I like the relaxed, closer to normal feel of Florence better. Plus I didn't feel like I was going to die just being near a street.

No comments:

Post a Comment