Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Few Things I Really Like About Europe

Alright, so The States have their strengths, but so does Europe. Here are a few things I really, really like about Europe so far.

1) Water pressure - they got it! In America, we have become so concerned with wasting water that most shower heads barely give you a light sprinkle. In Europe, the water pressure is full blast. Not only when taking a shower do I feel clean, but it almost works as a massage on the back and neck as well. Every shower I have used (even the crappy ones in hostels) have had great pressure. Their toilets create small whirlpools and even the sinks blast out the water like Old Faithful.

2) Tax is already included in prices. It is mandatory that when listing the price of something, you list the added tax as well. Man do I love this. I know exactly what I am going to pay when I buy it, no calculating or thinking "cheap" and then adding tax to increase the price. If it says X I pay X. I like this so much I keep thinking that when I get back to the States eventually I want to champion this cause (though some already are).

3) Public transportation. Sure Italians go on strike bi-monthly, but Europe (so far) has gotten public transit down. I don't need a car or taxi anywhere (excluding going to the wrong airport). I can get completely across Budapest in 30-40 minutes (a city of 2.1 million) faster on the metro than in a car. There are also buses and trams running as well. Italy was great about using public transit to get around too. We need this in the US - not only would save us on gas prices, but reduce traffic too. Not to mention reduce drinking and driving. Much easier to catch a bus/subway home if it is faster, cheaper and safer than driving.

4) The architecture and history. I know this is something that is just unfair for America. Europe is a lot older and has that history. But none the less, I just love it. Walking down a random street and noting that some random building is actually famous or historically important from 400 years ago. The styles are just incredible as well. The castles, palaces, cathedrals, churches and just every days buildings are awe inspiring when you walk down a street. An example, I was in a Mcdonald's today at the Budapest Train station. The designer of the train station was Eiffel, of Eiffel's Tower, one of the most famous architects of all time.Mcdonald's bought a wing of the place, revamp it and now I can eat in a Mcdonald's that was originally designed by Eiffel.

5) How cell phones work. I decided I needed a phone for emergencies and for applying for jobs. So I went and got a pay-as-you-go phone. The cost per minute is pretty high and I was disheartened by it all and then I learned something that blew my American mind. You only pay for out-bound calls and texts. If someone calls or texts me, it doesn't count against my minutes. Also, if I call and the don't answer, it doesn't count any my minutes. So when I need to talk to my friends, I call them, they don't answer and immediately call me back. Boom, on the phone and not using minutes. Great cost saver and it just makes sense. I should pay for people calling me or texting me. Downside to phones in Europe is each country is treated as a foreign nation, even in the EU with phones. So if I leave Hungary I will be charged out the ying-yang for roaming.

1 comment:

  1. About the phone thing: In italy they have this saying "Dami un squilo" which means "Give me a squilo" which means call and then hang-up after the first right. It's like sending a text, but without the fees. You can say "Dami un squillo when you get here" and it will cost nothing. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete