Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Best Place I Have Eaten So Far

After a good long day of sight seeing Budapest with my personal tour guide, Bobbi, we meet up with Matt for dinner. Since I am the guest the choice is mine, but we are in Budapest, I have no clue where to go. My request, somewhere unique to the area. Matt and Bobbi both agree MARIKA NÉNI.

I ask what this place is and this is how it was described by Matt, "So after the fall of Communism in 1989 Marika (70+ year old woman) wanted to open up a hamburger stand, like in America, but the problem is, she doesn't know how to cook hamburgers...at all, so pretty much she just puts anything on there, pork chops, beef, chicken, any sauces or vegetables. In fact, she doesn't have a real menu, you just go in there and ask for whatever you want on a bun and she will do it. Her menu is just a collection of things people have ordered. Oh, yeah and everything is on a bun about the size of a square foot...not kidding."

So I ask what the price is. Matt's response, "Marika will just tell you to pay what you think it was worth, but it averages around $5-7."

So I get a huge burger with whatever I want on it for around $6, yes, I want that.

We get there and sure enough this 70-year-old-woman is cooking behind a counter. I order a burger with beef, chicken, sausage, lettuce, eggs, ketchup and I think that is it. Marika chastises me in Hungarian for my lack of vegetables on there and spends some time trying to convince me, in Hungarian, to add more.

Matt was going to order a similar burger but she told him, "You want the Peace Burger, it is on special, I make that for you instead." Matt knows better than to argue with her and accepts this unknown burger.

We get our huge burgers and they exceed my expectations. Huge and though a giant mess of random foods just thrown in with hardly any order. And it was great! It was a daunting process trying to eat it, but worth it.

I decided that I want to open a hamburger stand back in Lawrence when I get home. I don't know how to cook, so it is perfect. People just come in and say things they want on it and boom, I add it. If they don't know what they want, I can just make it up!

Needless to say, if you come to Budapest, this is a must visit restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment