Sunday, October 30, 2011

Amsterdam Day 2

Wow, I am behind on blog posts.

So my second day in Amsterdam had a slightly rude awakening (literally). I go to bed about 5:30am in my 10-person dorm room. The last of the people decided to get up around 10am. There were 3 American guys and they represented the asshole American stereotype perfectly. Even though some of us were still sleeping and there was natural light they turned the lights on. They talked in regular voices, yelled at times, slammed doors and were yelling down the hall to other people. Finally, a very nice Australian girl who was up said, "there are other people still sleep." One of their replies was, "well they can deal with it."

After these dicks left, I got up with a few hours sleep in me. I started talking to the Australian girl, Aly. She said, "No offense, but I run into American guys like this all over and it makes me think Americans really are assholes." I told her no offense, that they do make us look that way, but I promise we are all not that way. In fact, there are a lot of nice, respectful Americans and this guy is far from the norm (though too prominent in America).

After getting ready Aly and I grab lunch, joined by another Australian guy who, while traveling Europe, decided to just stay and got a job in the hostel as a cook. We later meet another American from Austin who is traveling and he joins us. After breakfast, we decide to go visit a local market. Now these markets sell everything. It is kind of like a giant outdoor second hand shop. Hands down the best place to get souvenirs. We hang out there for an hour or so and then head back to the hostel.

Now, the other American, David, is biking across Europe. I mean with a bicycle. That blows my mind. He carries a tent and a back pack. He bikes up to 100 miles a day on a long day.

David and I are sitting there chatting and we realize that neither of us have wandered through the famous Red Light District of Amsterdam yet. Now, for those who don't know is the Red Light District is where prostitution is legal. It is famous for many reasons, but is a big tourist attraction as well. They have red lights everywhere (thus the name). I thought it would be some mildly seeding looking hookers harassing people on corners where they take you into a brothel.

Well, let me tell you how wrong I was. This place is a complex of small streets that are lined with glass doors where the women (hookers) stand inside waiting for clients. I guess they are not allowed to harass people on the street. You have to approach them. There are 50+ "rooms" in this small block. These women are not seedy either. They are by traditional definitions extremely attractive. It was like window shopping for sex. A very weird concept.

We walk though, which went better than expected because I didn't get harassed. I have no interest in prostitutes. That is not what I am looking for in life. But I will say this place was far different than I expected. It was regulated, (security was all over) and professional. It really gives a boost in my opinion to the idea that legalization and regulation are the best ways to deal with social issues in a country.

After this David and I meet two random guys from the Netherlands that came to Amsterdam for the local Occupy protect. So there is Occupy Wallstreet. Now there are other protests world wide. One was going on at Amsterdam, so we went a checked it out. It was interesting. Some people are there with a purpose and understanding. Some people are there because they don't understand economics and want people with more money to give it to them even though those with more worked for it and those asking for it have done nothing. It's a bad mix of under education and entitlement.

That night was much, much calmer. I met back up with Aly and a new Australian friend of hers who is in love with America. She was asking me all sorts of questions, which was pretty fun to answer. We got dinner, hung out and by 10:30pm I wanted nothing more than sleep. I called it an early night and hit the hay not fully sure what I will do the next day, since tomorrow is my last in Amsterdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment