Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Trip to Eastern Hungary

I have spent more time in Hungary than any other European country so far (would never have guessed that), but yet I have only been in Budapest. Given, Hungary has a population of 10 million and 2 million of them are in Budapest. The second largest city is 500K or so. So in all fairness, Budapest is the place to be.

Seeing as how Edit is from a small village in Eastern Hungary and her and Matt were going home for a weekend it seemed the perfect opportunity to explore more of the country. Matt and Edit went there Friday evening, while I joined them on Saturday afternoon. After a 3-hour bus ride I reach Edit's home town.

The town is close to a larger city, but itself is a smaller village. It is 1.5 hours from Ukraine. I meet Edit's parents, who do not speak a word of English, so everything has to be translated and they are just great people. In Hungary, mothers love to cook. It is one of the main ways they take care of their family. And it is a big deal, much bigger than anywhere in the states that I have experienced. Almost the first thing that happens once I walk through the door is I am sat down and presented with nearly a feasts worth of food. Apparently, I am too skinny and need to eat more. I won't complain when the food tastes this good.

Edit's mom asks a lot of questions and Edit translates our conversation back and forth. It is a slower way to have a conversation, but I am just happy to be able to communicate as well. I also got to see Matt using his Hungarian. I have seen him use it a little here and there and honestly (sorry Matt), he seems to struggle. But here at Edit's home he is just unleashing his vocabulary left and right and there seems to be very little miscommunication. As Matt put it, Hungarian is such a different language that you have to get warmed up. Once he has been speaking only it for a while he does alright. Switching back and forth is very, very difficult for him and that is all I had seen so far.

Shortly after dinner Edit's dad comes home. Now, Edit warned me in advance and her dad loves Palinka and always offers it to guests, A Hungarian custom. What is Palinka you say? It is a very strong alcohol really only drank in Hungary and a little of Austria. The Hungarian's call Russia's children for drinking their children's drink, Vodka. Real men drink Palinka. Now, most Hungarians both buy it from the store and make their own, called (spelled wrong) Hazzie. Store bought it is 30-35% alcohol. Not proof, percent. Hazzie is 50-60%. You may not know me, but I don't drink heavy and rarely liquor and even more rare potent liquor.

Edit's dad tells us a joke. The men are arguing over who can beat a bear in a fight. A German, Russian and Hungarian. First the German goes in and after some screaming gets tossed from the ring. Second the Russian goes in and lasts a little longer but still gets tossed out. The Hungarian pulls out a bottle of Palinka, takes a shot and goes in. After a few minutes they hear a roar and the bear comes flying out of the ring. Palinka makes you a fearless man who can fight even bears.

So Edit's dad comes in, our greetings are translated and he disappears and moments later reappears with a bottle of hazzie and 3 shot glasses. I look at Matt with a look of fear as I realize that this family has just fed me and is housing me tonight, no is not an option. Shots poured, we say our cheers and down the hatch. Now let me just tell you how much it burns. It is like fire that I have never experienced. It smelled like nail polish remover to boot. When the blurring of the eyes stops I get the punch line. With just one shot I feel like I conquered everest and am ready to take on a bear.

The night goes on, we all continue talking and enjoying a quiet evening in the Hungarian country side. We go to bed pretty early as we have a lot to accomplish on the morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment