Thursday, November 3, 2011

Downtime in Budapest

I'll spare everyone the tedium of my day-to-day while in Budapest. I spent a lot of the time relaxing, hanging out with Matt and Edit and exploring the city.

Highlights - One day I was wondering around along the river and say a large cross on a hill under the Citadel (a fortress on the highest hill/cliff face in the city). As I start climbing towards it, I find it is part of a cave church. I decide to pay the $2 to tour the church that is literally just in a long cave. It was pretty cool. Afterwards I just kept walking up the hill and eventually found my self at the Citadel. Now, I thought the palace had the best view of Budapest, but I was wrong, the Citadel wins outs.

Another day Bobbi and I went and explored a large indoor market that sells all local, hungarian made items. It is a best stop for tourists trying to get authentic souvenigns.

One night Matt and I decide to climb the Citadel again, but this time at night, which is equally a spectacular view as during the day.

On the Friday before Halloween Edit got invited by one of her co-workers to a Halloween party and was told to bring her "American Friends" along. Hungary really doesn't celebrate Halloween, so Matt and I decided we didn't need to go all out, but still have to represent the States. Edit came up with the idea as going from things from Minecraft, a video game. We made masks. Matt and I went with Creepers (green guys that sneak up and then explode) and Edit went with a duck. The best part was Matt and wore our helmets/masks/hats on the subway. One girl started getting on and screamed, backing out quickly. Realizing it wasn't a monster she slowly comes back in and sits down with her friends. They can't look at Matt and I without blushing and trying to hide, either embarrassed about screaming or still scared. So of course Matt and I decide to just stare at them for a few minutes. Edit wasn't with us (we were meeting her), but we had her duck costume with us. Different people were taking pictures of us, getting a real kick out of it. A 10 year old really liked our costumes, so Matt offered him the duck one to wear. He sat with us for the ride having the time for his life.

The party was pretty good, too. Matt and I defiantly had the best costumes. We represented well. The party was pretty small, about 10 people.

And that folks is our Budapest recap. Stay tuned for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment